Free Counseling, Newsletters, Brochures And Student Advocacy Resources
Boyer P. August
Did You Know That It Is Illegal When:
You Are Embarrassed, In Front Of The Class, By A Teacher?
You Serve Detention During Lunch Or On Saturday?
You Are Given Laps Or Pushups As A Punishment?
You Are Not Allowed To Go To The Bathroom?
You Are Locked Out Of Your Class?
You Pay For Parking Spaces?
For Help On These Questions, To Learn How To Protect Your Student Rights While At School And
a handbook on student rights and responsibilities
with an emphasis on California law
© July 4, 1975
Boyer P. August
§ An Easy To Understand Summary
§ Of K-12, Public And Private School, Educational Rights
Legal Citations From
§ United States Supreme Court Decisions
§ United States Federal Court Decisions
§ California Supreme Court Decisions
§ California Appellate Court Decisions
§ California Superior Court Decisions
§ California Attorney General Opinions
§ California Code Of Regulations, Civil And Penal Codes
EXCERPTS FROM OUR HANDBOOK ON STUDENT RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Handbook Revisions For Our 29th Printing
July 4, 2014
1. 2013 Cell Phones Cannot Be Searched Without A Warrant Or An Immediate Threat Of Danger
2. 2013 Mandated Child Abuse Reporters Not Immune From Lawsuits For Unwarranted Disclosures
3. 2013 Fees for Graduation Caps and Gowns Are Prohibited
4. 2013 Foster Care Students New Graduation Options And Notice Requirements
5. 2014 United States Supreme Court Upholds California's Ban On Gay Conversion Therapy
6. 2013 California Transgender Student Rights To Programs And Facilities
7. 2013 Cyberbullying: Sometimes, Schools Can Discipline For Off Campus, Electronic Bullying
8. 2013 Homeless Students: Immediate Enrollment In School And Eligibility For All Extracurricular Activities
9. 2013 California Supreme Court, Non-Licensed School Personnel May Administer Medication To Students
10. 2014 District Wins Appeal On American Flag T-Shirt, Cinco de Mayo Issue, Live Oak High School, Morgan Hill CA
11. New Student Advocacy Resources: Legal, Special Education And Other Educational Resources
Handbook Revisions For Our 28th Printing
July 4, 2013
1. Readmission Required After Juvenile Justice System
2. Child Abuse Reporting Requirements 1/1/13
3. Suspensions And Expulsions Alternatives - “other means of correction”
4. New Grounds For Suspensions And Expulsions 1/13
5. Gay-Straight Alliance Rights At School Affirmed, Florida
6. Transgender Student Rights To All Programs And All Facilities
7. Due Process Rights For Expulsions
8. Parent Right To Subpoena Witnesses For Expulsions
9. AB 1575 School Fees - January 2013
10. How To File A Complaint On Illegal School Fees
11. Parent Bill Of Rights
12. Required Concussion Training for High School Coaches
13. Current Special Education Information
14. New On Line Student Advocacy Resources
Handbook Revisions For Our 27th Printing
July 4, 2012
1. 2011 ACLU Report: H-E-L-L-O: Students Have A Right To Privacy In Their Cell Phones
2. ACLU Challenges Coercive Police Interrogation Of Students at Davis High School, CA
3. Fees For School Supplies, Summer School Tuition, Parking Spaces And For Advanced Placement Examinations Are Illegal
4. 2011 Federal Civil Rights, Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Settlement Against Counselor, Berkeley Unified, CA
5. 2012 California State Supreme Court Sexual Harassment Ruling For Molested Student
6. 2012 “Seth Law” Amendments To Safe Place To Learn Act Addresses Student Harassment
7. Electronic Act Defined For Purposes Of Bullying Prohibitions
8. 2012 New Requirements For Student Athletes Related To Concussions And Head Injuries
11. 2011 - 9th U. S. Circuit Court Of Apppeals, San Francisco, CA, Teacher Free To Criticize Religion, Capistrano, CA
12. 2011 - 9th U. S. Cir. Ct. Of Appealss, San Francisco, CA, Teacher Does Not Have Right To Display Religious Banners, Poway, CA
13. 2011 Principal Wins Appeal On American Flag T-Shirt, Cinco de Mayo Issue, Morgan Hill CA
14. 2012 U. S. Supreme Court, Online Insults Of Teachers Or Administrator Might Not Always Result In Student Discipline
15. 2012 ACLU/The Asian Caucus, On Line Insults Of Teachers Or Administrators Might Not Always Result In Student Discipline
16. New On Line Resources: Calif. Watch, Ed Law Connect, EdSource, Electronic Frontier Foundation, First Amendment Coalition
Handbook Revisions For Our 26th Printing
July 4, 2011
1. Urgent Need To Teach Students About Their Rights
2. Child Abuse Reporting Law: Reasonable Suspicion Of Abuse Does Not Require Certainty
3. 2011 Legal Guidelines Recognizing Gay- Straight Alliances
4. 2011 Fair, Accurate,
Inclusive and Respectful Education Act
5. Adults Who Provide Alcohol To Students Can Be Sued
6. Drug Testing Of Students In Extra-Curricular Activities Ruled Unconstitutional
7. 2008 Due Process Violated At Deer Valley High School, Antioch, CA
8. 2010 Clovis Unified, CA Pays $250,000 In Student Fees Suit
9. 2010 Unlawful For School Districts To Charge Students Fees For Educational Activities
10. 2011 Federal Racial Harassment Award: $725,000 To Students/Parents From New Haven Unified District, CA
11. 2011 Sexual Harassment Guidance Letter To Schools
12. 2010 Search Of
Student Who Left Campus, Without Permission, And Then Returned Was Lawful
13. 2010 Parents Can Obtain Money Damages For Failure To Provide Special Education
14. Student Evaluation Of Teachers
15. Schools Required to Provide Free, Fresh Drinking Water
16. 2011 Public Prayer Will Be Allowed At A Texas High School Graduation
17. 2011 On Line Insult of Teacher Not Cyber-Bullying
18. 2011 Administrators May Be Sued For Not Allowing Students To Wear American Flag T-Shirts
Boyer P. August, Ed. D., M. S.
§ Winner, 15 Year, California State Supreme Court and United States Supreme Court, Freedom of Speech, Civil Rights Case
§ Writer, a handbook on student rights and responsibilities with an emphasis on California law
§ Director, The Center For The Protection Of Human Rights In Education
§ A California Non-Profit Corporation Since 1978
§ High School Teacher and Administrator
§ Marriage, Family and Child Therapist
§ Teacher, Suicide Awareness And Prevention Programs
§ Director, Student Assistance Counseling Programs
§ Counselor, High School Ethnic Awareness Groups
§ Trained In Suicide Prevention, Crisis Intervention And Chemical Dependency
§ Trained In Self-Esteem Awareness, Peer Counseling And Conflict Resolution
§ Supervisor Of Student Teachers, California State University, East Bay, Hayward, California
§ Adjunct Professor, California State University, East Bay, Hayward, California
§ Supervisor Of Student Teachers, St. Mary’s College, Moraga, California
§ Master Teacher, University of California, Berkeley, California
§ San Quentin State Prison Kairos Assistant-Director and Presenter
§ Juvenile Hall, Intern Chaplain, Martinez, California
“Our answer is the world’s hope; it is to rely on youth – not a time of life, but a state of mind, a temper of the will, a quality of the imagination, a predominance of courage over timidity, of the appetite for adventure over the love of ease.” Robert F. Kennedy
Free Newsletters Topics
Saturday School Sucks!
Language Rape - Verbal Abuse is Illegal!
Hey, I’m A Teenager - Pay Attention Dude!
Have You Ever Been Kicked Out Of Anything?
Locking Students Out Of Their Classroom Is Illegal!
24 Legal Solutions For Tardies Minus The Sweep Or Lock Out!
Students Should Not Be Allowed To Drive Until They Are 18!
Teenage Suicide - Please Don’t Bring That Up Again!
Lowering Grades Because Of Bathroom Passes!
Alternatives To Suspension For Smoking!
A Form To Evaluate Teachers!
Religious Clubs Are Legal!
See “The Cuckoo’s Nest” Below For More.